NFL Expansion

If the NFL was going to expand, it would have to be within these cities:
    1. Los Angeles
    2. Portland
    3. San Antonio
    4. Sacramento
    5. Orlando
    6. Las Vegas

This is based on population of cities without an NFL team. For the record, priorities 4-6 have larger metro populations than Cleaveland, Cinncinnatti, Indianappolis, and Jacksonville.

At current setup, the NFL could afford to expand by 2 teams with no real changes.

If they expanded further, they might need to add a few regular season games to make things fair.

I've said it before, but the division breakdown is silly and causes great teams to miss the playoffs. (Like allowing a 7-9 team to make the playoffs while other teams with better records failed to make it) If the NFL wanted a better playoff, then the best situation would be to eliminate the divisions and just seed the playoffs by best record. It could make the streangth of schedule as equal as possible by having every team in conference play all teams within the same conference. Currently with 32 teams and 16 games, this would mean that 15 games are with in division opponents, the non conference game would make up the difference in streangth of schedule.

Expanding by two would eliminate the non-conference game and would mean that the Super Bowl would be between two opponents who've never met. Adding two more teams in addition to the two expansion teams would mean that the NFL would have to take one preseason game away to make 17 regular season games. This would mean that there would no longer be any medocre teams in the NFL. Any further expansion would necessatate converting preseason games into regular season games.
    Complete Turnovers: Interceptions,
    fumbles lost, missed fg's, punts, 4th down fails, kickoffs lost, safeties, and turnovers due to time.

Half Turnovers: Failed extra point or 2pat,
    Successful field goal, 2point conversion allowed.

Quarter Turnovers: Extra Points allowed.

You will never be able to find a game in which the team with the higher sum of total turnovers has won the game.

No relation to Bloatasaurus Rex or Mullet Bob
    I don't want any increase in the number of teams or games. The current system of scheduling is elegant and simple and increasing either would destroy it.

I am in favor of ignoring divisions when seeding the playoffs. Hell, I'm in favor of ignoring conferences, too. The AFL was only around for ten years and ceased to exist almost half a century ago. The rivalry between the two leagues is ancient history and should not forever dictate how the post-season is seeded, or limit the potential number of Super Bowl matchups. Seed the playoffs with the twelve best teams in the NFL and keep the arbitrary divisions and conferences around for what they really are: conveniences.
    Second verse,

same as the first.

I'm all for a team in Vegas but something tells me the league probably would avoid it.

I don't think I'm on board with this idea... I like the division structure as it relates to scheduling, and I like semi-regular inter-conference matchups, even if it results in some variation in strength of schedule.

I am in favor of, however, re-seeding based on record once the playoff teams are determined under the current system (so a 7-9 or 8-8 division winner gets the sixth seed, and doesn't get a home game).

Not really in favor of expansion. Already a lot of teams as it is.

They have already moved an AFC team (Seattle) to the NFC, so it's not like this is a foreign notion. I like it the way things are. I would be on board with re-seeding, but I'd also be on board with having the best record in your division not mattering if there are 6 teams above you with better ones or tie-breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by rushingfn View Post
    If the NFL was going to expand, it would have to be within these cities:
    1. Los Angeles
    2. Portland
    3. San Antonio
    4. Sacramento
    5. Orlando
    6. Las Vegas
    Florida already has three floundering franchises so I cannot see Orlando getting a franchise even if Jax were to move.

Sacramento is close enough to the Bay area that fans there are either invested in the Raiders or 49ers.

Vegas I don't see the NFL wanting the baggage that comes with it.

The other three I can see if it happens but you forgot a few cites.

London, Berlin, Toronto........it's going to happen if Czar Roger has his way.

Toronto will likely not be an expansion but a relocation of the Bills. If you want expansion in Canada, there is Montreal and Vancouver.

Note: my Canadian geography may be wrong, but I think Vancouver is far enough away from Seattle to avoid a SF/Oakland thing.

Edit: oh, and there is also Mexico City if you want international but still in North America expansion.
    Last edited by castlelong1; 04-18-12 at 05:15 PM.

Expansion doesn't make a ton of sense to me for many reasons. But mostly just because you already have teams in cities which don't support them.

Like we need more of that or something.

On the otherhand, you could easily put 2 teams in LA and another in Chicago if you really wanted to. No, not that anyone in Chicago would want a 2nd team.